AEC Regent III,
ChassisNo; 9612E5341. Park Royal H33/26R, (H30/26R when new).
Morecambe & Heysham were staunch AEC operators placing approximately 83 vehicles in service between the years of 1932 and 1957. Most were bodied by Park Royal or Weymann, however the 1956/7 order for five Regent V buses were bodied by Massey coachbuilders. In 1950, six Regent III vehicles were delivered numbered 66-71 whilst number 72 on a 9613E chassis was added that October, all with Park Royal bodywork and all were up-seated between 1959 and 1960.
The melodic sounds of the 9.6 litre engine and pre-selector gearbox of 69 graced the seaside town for nearly 25 years. During its service life the livery was updated a number of times whereby in an effort of modernisation, the proportion of green paint was reduced in favour of more cream, while also the interior of the vehicles was brightened up.
The bus was extensively renovated at the former Mersey & Calder Groups building at Meltham Mills by owner Marc Knott, Mick Berry (3916 UB), and Richard Roper (ECX 225) and a larger 11.3 litre engine was fitted. The interior has been refurbished with an in service feel by Marc with new flooring, original moquette in places and period advertising, while outside the bus is painted in its as new apple green livery with three cream bands, the lower one containing the traditional shaded corporation lettering, and the rear chromium off side bumper.
Possibly one of the longest journeys for a Museum vehicle (albeit privately owned) was when Marc took 69 to the Isle of Man in 2018. It is pictured at Douglas on the Island and Heysham back in England.