1951 AEC Regent III/ Park Royal LYR 533
The prototype chassis of what was to become RT 1 was built by A.E.C. at Southall in 1938 and fitted with a second-hand open staircase body, receiving the bonnet number ST1140.
Eventually it received a brand new body built at Chiswick works, and was given the new bonnet number RT 1. A total of 151 vehicles were built before production was halted by World War Two.
In 1947 production was resumed, with the chassis and body both being modified. Bodies were built by a number of manufacturers: 2257 by Weymann of Addlestone, Surrey
1997 by Park Royal Vehicles of Abbey Road, Park Royal, London NW10
300 by Saunders-Roe of Anglesey
120 by Cravens of Sheffield
The Cravens bodies differed from the rest by having a five-bay window arrangement, rather than a four-bay.
RT3314 was new in September 1951, entering service at Palmers Green garage in North London.
By 1953, London Transport’s RT class totalled an impressive 4,825 vehicles, though not all were in service at the same time.
London Transport also operated 1631 RTL class vehicles with Leyland chassis, and 500 RTW class Leylands with 8ft wide bodies.
London Transport overhauled its buses every four years at Aldenham Works, which had originally been constructed as a depot for Underground tube-sized rolling stock for a proposed extension of the Northern Line to Elstree. The overhaul involved completely separating the chassis and body, and because of the differing timescales involved in overhauling the chassis and body, newly-overhauled bodies were not matched up with the original chassis.
At the time of withdrawal RT 3314 was allocated to Walthamstow garage in North-East London.
In December 1977 it was purchased by Vintage Bus Co, an operator of sightseeing tours in London, passing briefly in a dealer capacity in 1983 to the
London Bus Preservation Group.
The vehicle was purchased for preservation in May 1984.