Formed in August 1971, with an aim to purchase Bradford Trolleybus 834, a group of enthusiasts named the “BUT 834 Group” secured its
residence at the Sandtoft Transport Centre near Doncaster. Soon a plan to
expand into a full Society was
devised to buy and operate a small fleet of trolleybuses and following an appeal, the Bradford Trolleybus Association (BTA) was borne on March 25th 1972. This was to be the day before the closure of the last trolleybus system (Bradford) in Britain, from which the BTA eventually also bought trolleybuses 731 and 847.
The Association also co-ordinated the purchase on behalf of its members all the remaining trolleybuses bar one that ran in Bradford, on 26th March 1972, again with a view to restore and operate under the wires at Sandtoft. Although its members hold a variety of ex-Bradford trolleybuses, the BTA itself only possess 758, a B.U.T. 9611T with an 8ft Weymann body first registered as FKU 758 on the 1st January 1951. This vehicle was the first to legally use flashing indicators in Britain following a pioneering experimenting May 1952, On the 31st July 1971, 758 became the last rear entrance trolleybus in ser-vice in Great Britain. She is now undergoing a thorough restoration to re-store her to her former glory and the Association is currently gathering the finances to meet the costs involved. It is currently housed at Keighley Bus Museum.