In 1952, following on from the front engine PD1, 2 and 3 Leylands, the rearengine Â Atlantean was introduced, the prototype being numbered 530001, withÂ a second vehicle (542209) following in 1954. It was initially named theÂ â€œLowloaderâ€ and designated PDR1, the â€œRâ€ indicating rear-engine.
Bolton Corporation 277 (MWH 277G) entered service new in 1968 but wasÂ transferred to the Northern Division of SELNEC (South East Lancashire/NorthÂ East Cheshire) PTE on the 1st November 1969 where it acquired the new fleetÂ number 6777 in their March 1970 re-numbering scheme. Allocated to the BuryÂ depot, the body mouldings were removed to bring it into line with the appearanceÂ of the standard Atlanteans in this fleet at that time. With local GovernmentÂ reorganisation on April 1st 1974, the bus was absolved into the newÂ Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive (GMPTE), and carried aÂ BY sticker, designating itâ€™s Bury allocated depot.
In 1984 it was withdrawn from service and sold to the University of Salford toÂ become a mobile computer/exhibition unit together with sister vehicle MWHÂ 274G and bore fleet number 01â€”Flamefast. It then passed to the New LifeÂ Church in Scunthorpe who owned it until 1996 when it was acquired by presentÂ owner Ian Amarnani and stored on a farm in Westhoughton.
It has since been relocated to the KeighleyÂ Bus Museum for further restoration.