As in the case of Huddersfield and other areas, the 1950/60 period was a time for change at Bradford, for the time had come to replace or upgrade trolleybus systems and services, and with that the opportunity was taken to replace such systems with the easier to operate option of the motorbus. Again like many operators, AEC was the main choice of vehicle, between 1947 and 1964, although Leyland and Daimler vehicles were also purchased.
Bradford’s buying spree from the AEC manufacturer was immense, with 15 vehicles purchased in 1959, 5 in 1961, 10 in 1962, 60 in 1963 and 30 in 1964.,from which 220 entered service on 1st April 1964, and continued into PTE ownership before being withdrawn from Ludlam Street Depot in Bradford. This was a total of 120 buses purchased between 1959 and 1964, all with Metro Cammell bodies and being numbered 106 to 225, and which coincided with the closing of the trolleybus services to Bradford Moor in 1962, Crossflatts (1963), plus Bolton, Banktop, and Eccleshill both in 1964. In an effort to lure passengers away from the now popular privately owned motor car, for safety reasons and because of the inclement wintry climate of the area, Bradford at this time turned more towards the front entrance vehicles with driver operated platform doors and away from the rear entrance open platform type. The Regent V type was typical of almost a third of the Bradford fleet of the 1960s and was widely used in the co-ordinated 64 route to Huddersfield (in conjunction with Huddersfield Daimler CVG6/30’s and Fleetlines), and the co-ordinated Bradford/Leeds route. As these routes required high capacity vehicles Leeds had purchased their only six front entrance Roe-bodied Daimler CVG6 half cab buses specifically for this route in 1962.
As a result of the formation of the PTE, 220 was re-numbered 2220, the first number signifying the Bradford base for the vehicle, and although most of these buses were withdrawn early with the closing down of AEC, and thereby difficulty in obtaining spares, 2220 was retained but downgraded to a mobile mess room for the bus station painting crew. This position it held even after the removal of the engine after failure, being towed to its workplace instead.
The bus was purchased by the West Yorkshire Transport Museum in 1985 and restored to original condition by the transport museum. It was acquired by Keighley Bus Museum from the administrators of Transperience in September 1998 with support Lottery Fund, the Science Museum PRISM Fund and Bradford Metropolitan Borough Council.