Early pioneers of passenger transport, prior to the introduction of the Leyland Lion, often had to rely on bus bodies built on lorry chassis’ as there was little if anything available as what is deemed a conventional bus being produced. Some vehicles were merely “Charabancs” others simply had a seated body mounted on an otherwise “goods” truck for weekend excursions while some manufactures built bus bodies on a lorry chassis for that singular use. This made the vehicles very high and difficult to negotiate low bridges especially when built to double-deck configuration. To compensate for this Leyland designed a chassis which was cranked over the rear axle thereby reducing it’s height to just 2’ 4”at it’s lowest point, and thus reducing the overall height of the vehicle.
One of several early batches of the type delivered to Bradford between 1926/7,325 was purchased in attempt to quell competition from private operators in the City boundary, due to the limits of tram and trolleybus services by the Corporation.
As fleet no; 325 KW 2260 was allocated to Thornbury tramshed together with other early motorbuses, but with the completion of the purpose-built Ludlam Street Depot in 1931, it was transferred there until it’s withdrawal in 1935. It was subsequently sold to a travelling showman, ending it’s days as a static caravan at Boynton Hall near Bridlington where it had become a home to a Parish Councillor. In 1969 the vehicle was purchased by a group of bus enthusiasts in Hull and was preserved in the livery of East Yorkshire Motor Services. It was first rallied in 1973 and appeared in the television serial South Riding, however accommodation problems led the vehicle to be sold eventually finding it’s way to the West Yorkshire Transport Museum in 1984.It was acquired by Keighley Bus Museum from the Transperience administrators in September 1998 with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the science museum PRISM Fund and Bradford Metropolitan Council.